Redirects are essential tools for website management, allowing you to guide visitors and search engines from one URL to another seamlessly. If you’re a Wix user, implementing redirects can be a straightforward process that helps you maintain a smooth user experience, preserve SEO rankings, and efficiently manage content changes. In this blog post, we will explore how to set up redirects in Wix and provide examples to assist you in implementing them effectively.
Step 1: Accessing Wix Editor
To begin setting up redirects in Wix, follow these steps:
- Log in to your Wix account and navigate to the Wix Editor.
- Select the website you want to work on from your dashboard.
- Click on “Manage Site” to access the site’s settings.
Step 2: Navigating to the Redirects Section
- In the Wix Editor’s left-hand menu, click on “Marketing & SEO.”
- Select “SEO Tools” and then click on “Manage SEO Basics.”
Step 3: Adding Redirects
- In the “Manage SEO Basics” section, scroll down to find the “301 Redirect Manager” or a similar option.
- Click on the “Add 301 Redirect” button to begin creating a redirect.
Step 4: Setting Up Redirects
- In the redirect setup window, you will see two fields: “From” and “To.”
- The “From” field represents the original URL that you want to redirect.
- The “To” field represents the destination URL where you want the redirect to lead.
- Enter the appropriate URLs in the respective fields, ensuring they are accurate and complete.
Step 5: Choosing the Redirect Type
- Select the appropriate redirect type based on your specific needs. Wix typically offers two options:
- 301 Redirect: Use this for permanent redirects, indicating that the original URL has permanently moved to the new URL.
- 302 Redirect: Use this for temporary redirects, indicating that the original URL has temporarily moved to the new URL.
Step 6: Saving and Testing the Redirect
- Once you have entered the necessary information, click on the “Save” or “Add Redirect” button to finalize the setup.
- It’s crucial to test the redirect to ensure it functions as intended. Open a new browser tab and enter the original URL to see if it correctly leads to the new destination URL.
- In the redirect setup window, enter “www.example.com/old-page” in the “From” field.
- Enter “www.example.com/new-page” in the “To” field.
- Select the appropriate redirect type (301 or 302) based on the permanence of the redirect.
- Save the redirect and test it by entering “www.example.com/old-page” in a browser to ensure it successfully leads to “www.example.com/new-page.”
Setting up redirects in Wix is a simple yet powerful technique that helps you manage changes to your website effectively. By following the step-by-step instructions provided above, you can seamlessly redirect visitors and search engines from old URLs to new ones, preserving a positive user experience and maintaining your SEO rankings. Take advantage of Wix’s redirect management features to ensure a smooth navigation experience for your audience while efficiently managing changes to your website’s structure.
I hope that you found this helpful, Tracy.